Highlights for eplerenone
eplerenone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain
- enlarged breasts or breast pain in males
- fast or irregular heartbeat, palpitations
- increased hair growth in females
- irregular menstrual periods
- sexual difficulty
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- stomach pain
eplerenone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, troleandomycin
- diuretics, especially amiloride, spironolactone or triamterene
- imatinib, STI-571
- medicines for fungal infections like itraconazole and ketoconazole
- potassium salts or supplements
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- grapefruit juice
- medicines for high blood pressure
- medicines for HIV infection
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- St. John's Wort
How to Use eplerenone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You may take this medicine with or without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- high blood level of potassium
- if you are on a special diet, such as a low-salt diet and are using dietary salt substitutes
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to eplerenone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor or health care professional what your blood pressure should be and when you should contact him or her.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your doctor. Also, ask how many glasses of fluid you need to drink each day. You must not get dehydrated.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
eplerenone, Greenstone Ltd, 25mg
eplerenone, American Health Packaging, 25mg
eplerenone, Apotex Corp, 25mg
eplerenone, Apotex Corp, 50mg
eplerenone, Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc, 25mg
eplerenone, Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc, 50mg
eplerenone, Sandoz Inc, 50mg
eplerenone, Sandoz Inc, 25mg
eplerenone, Greenstone Ltd, 50mg
How Much Does eplerenone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for eplerenone
Last Updated: April 21, 2009