Highlights for eltrombopag
eltrombopag Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- dark urine
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea
- right upper belly pain
- shortness of breath, chest pain, swelling in a leg
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- muscle aches
eltrombopag May Interact with Other Medications
- calcium supplements
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, fluvastatin, pravastatin, rosuvastatin
- iron supplements
- magnesium supplements
- multivitamins with minerals
- narcotic medicines for pain
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
How to Use eltrombopag
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after food. Do not take with food. Avoid antacids, aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium, selenium, and zinc products for 4 hours before and 4 hours after taking your dose. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- history of blood clots
- eye disease, vision problems
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- have had your spleen removed
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Eltrombopag, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, wait and take your next scheduled dose. Do not take more than 1 dose in 1 day. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine. To receive this medicine, you, your doctor and your pharmacy must be registered in the Promacta Cares program.
Visit your prescriber or health care professional for regular checks on your progress and for the needed blood tests. It is important to keep all appointments.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: August 27, 2014