Highlights for dronedarone
dronedarone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- dark urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea
- right upper belly pain
- slow heartbeat
- stomach pain
- swelling of the legs or ankles
- unusually weak or tired
- weight gain
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- stomach pain
dronedarone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, pentamidine, telithromycin, troleandomycin
- certain medicines for depression like tricyclic antidepressants
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, flecainide, ibutilide, quinidine, propafenone, sotalol
- certain medicines for malaria like chloroquine, halofantrine
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, or irregular heart beat like diltiazem, metoprolol, propranolol, verapamil
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- grapefruit juice
- St. John's Wort
How to Use dronedarone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take one tablet with the morning meal and one tablet with the evening meal. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart failure
- history of irregular heartbeat
- liver disease
- liver or lung problems with the past use of amiodarone
- low levels of magnesium in the blood
- low levels of potassium in the blood
- other heart disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dronedarone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Your condition will be monitored closely when you first begin therapy. Often, this drug is first started in a hospital or other monitored health care setting. Once you are on maintenance therapy, visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Because your condition and use of this medicine carry some risk, it is a good idea to carry an identification card, necklace or bracelet with details of your condition, medications, and doctor or health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does dronedarone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for dronedarone
Last Updated: June 16, 2014