Highlights for dolasetron
dolasetron Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest tightness
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever and chills
- loss of balance or coordination
- swelling of the feet or hands
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
dolasetron May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- beta-blockers like atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol
- calcium channel blockers like diltiazem, verapamil
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use dolasetron
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not take this medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- history of irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- low levels of magnesium or potassium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dolasetron, granisetron, ondansetron, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply.
Check with your doctor or health care professional right away if you have any sign of an allergic reaction.
Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: September 24, 2014