Highlights for diethylpropion
diethylpropion Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- angry, confusion, more nervous, restless
- breast growth in men
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- difficulty with balance
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- nausea, vomiting
- trouble sleeping
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
- dry mouth or unpleasant taste
- flushing of the skin
- hair loss
- increase or decrease in sexual desire or performance
- menstrual irregularity
- red or itchy skin
- upset stomach
diethylpropion May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines for colds or breathing difficulties like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine
- other medicines or herbal products for weight loss or to decrease appetite
- stimulants like amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, methylphenidate or modafinil
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- general anesthetics
- insulin and other medicines for diabetes
- medicines for high blood pressure
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
How to Use diethylpropion
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine 1 hour before meals. If a meal is missed, do not take that dose. An additional tablet may be taken in the mid evening if needed for night time hunger. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 16 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- high blood pressure
- history of drug dependence or substance abuse
- kidney or liver disease
- lung disease
- valvular heart disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to diethylpropion, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take a dose as soon as you can with the next meal. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You need to closely monitor your weight loss. If your rate of weight loss slows down or stops, you may need to stop the medicine, and restart after a time without the medicine.
You may get dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may increase dizziness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Protect from heat. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Tenuate Dospan, 75mg
Tenuate Dospan ER, 75mg
diethylpropion, KVK-Tech, Inc., 25mg
diethylpropion, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 25mg
diethylpropion, Actavis Inc. formerly Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc, 25mg
diethylpropion, Actavis Inc. formerly Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc, 75mg
diethylpropion, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 75mg
How Much Does diethylpropion Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for diethylpropion
Last Updated: April 7, 2009