Highlights for dextroamphetamine
dextroamphetamine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue-changes in vision
- chest pain or chest tightness
- confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- fingers or toes feel numb, cool, painful
- hallucination, loss of contact with reality
- high blood pressure
- males: prolonged or painful erection
- severe headaches
- shortness of breath
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- uncontrollable head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- trouble sleeping
- weight loss
dextroamphetamine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- ammonium chloride
- ascorbic acid
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- cold or allergy medicines
- glutamic acid
- medicines that increase blood pressure like dopamine, dobutamine, ephedrine, or norepinephrine
- methenamine; sodium acid phosphate
- narcotic medicines for pain
- sodium bicarbonate
How to Use dextroamphetamine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not cut, crush or chew this medicine. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. If your doctor wants you to stop the medicine, the dose will be slowly lowered over time to avoid any side effects.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- anxiety or panic attacks
- circulation problems in fingers and toes
- hardening or blockages of the arteries or heart blood vessels
- heart disease or a heart defect
- high blood pressure
- history of a drug or alcohol abuse problem
- history of stroke
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- mental illness
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- thyroid disease
- Tourette's syndrome
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dextroamphetamine, other amphetamines, tartrazine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. This prescription requires that you follow special procedures with your doctor and pharmacy. You will need to have a new written prescription from your doctor every time you need a refill.
This medicine may affect your concentration, or hide signs of tiredness. Until you know how this medicine affects you, do not drive, ride a bicycle, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if this medicine loses its effects, or if you feel you need to take more than the prescribed amount. Do not change the dose without talking to your doctor or health care professional.
Decreased appetite is a common side effect when starting this medicine. Eating small, frequent meals or snacks can help. Talk to your doctor if you continue to have poor eating habits. Height and weight growth of a child taking this medicine will be monitored closely.
Do not take this medicine close to bedtime. It may prevent you from sleeping.
If you are going to need surgery, a MRI, CT scan, or other procedure, tell your doctor that you are taking this medicine. You may need to stop taking this medicine before the procedure.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional right away if you notice unexplained wounds on your fingers and toes while taking this medicine. You should also tell your healthcare provider if you experience numbness or pain, changes in the skin color, or sensitivity to temperature in your fingers or toes.
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Dispose of properly. This medicine may cause accidental overdose and death if it is taken by other adults, children, or pets. Mix any unused medicine with a substance like cat litter or coffee grounds. Then throw the medicine away in a sealed container like a sealed bag or a coffee can with a lid. Do not use the medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Dexedrine Spansule, 5mg
Dexedrine Spansule, 15mg
Dexedrine Spansule, 10mg
Dexedrine Spansule, 10mg
dextroamphetamine, Mallinckrodt Inc Pharmaceuticals Group, 10mg
dextroamphetamine, Mallinckrodt Inc Pharmaceuticals Group, 5mg
dextroamphetamine, Mallinckrodt Inc Pharmaceuticals Group, 15mg
dextroamphetamine, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 15mg
dextroamphetamine, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 5mg
How Much Does dextroamphetamine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for dextroamphetamine
Last Updated: October 21, 2015