Highlights for delavirdine
delavirdine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- dark urine
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea
- muscle pain or weakness
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- right upper belly pain
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- depressed mood
- difficulty sleeping
- nausea, vomiting
- weight gain around waist, back, or thinning of face, arms, legs
delavirdine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for cholesterol like cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like dofetilide, encainide, flecainide
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, ethotoin, fosphenytoin, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- medicines for headaches like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- red yeast rice
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
- medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, or irregular heart beat
- medicines for cholesterol
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for erectile dysfunction
- medicines for sleep
- medicines that decrease stomach acid like antacids, cimetidine, famotidine, omeprazole, lansoprazole
- other medicines for HIV
How to Use delavirdine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine can be taken with or without food. If you have a hard time swallowing this medicine, the 100 mg tablets can be dissolved in water. Ask your pharmacist for instructions. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. For your anti-HIV therapy to work as well as possible, take each dose exactly as prescribed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine even if you feel better. Skipping doses may make the HIV virus resistant to this medicine and other medicines. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to delavirdine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
HIV is spread to others through sexual or blood contact. Talk to your doctor about how to stop the spread of HIV.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom or diaphragm.
Avoid taking any antacids or acid blockers within 1 hour of taking this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does delavirdine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for delavirdine
Last Updated: April 7, 2009