Highlights for dapsone
dapsone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bluish fingernails or lips
- changes in vision, hearing
- dark urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- joint swelling
- more or less urine passed
- muscle weakness
- pale skin
- tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands or feet
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
- trouble sleeping
dapsone May Interact with Other Medications
- fluorouracil, 5-FU
How to Use dapsone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dapsone, sulfa drugs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your doctor.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: January 7, 2009