Highlights for clarithromycin
clarithromycin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- irregular heartbeat or chest pain
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- abnormal taste
- anxiety, confusion, or nightmares
- intestinal gas
- stomach upset or nausea
clarithromycin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep like alprazolam, triazolam
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, disopyramide, flecainide, procainamide, quinidine
- certain medicines that treat or prevent clots like warfarin
- ergot alkaloids like ergotamine, dihydroergotamine
- other antibiotics like grepafloxacin, rifabutin, sparfloxacin
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use clarithromycin
Take this medicine by mouth with glass of water. If it upsets your stomach you can take it with milk or food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early. Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bowel disease, like colitis
- irregular heartbeat or heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to clarithromycin, other macrolide antibiotics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
If you have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar carefully while on this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does clarithromycin Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for clarithromycin
Last Updated: July 11, 2014