Highlights for chlorothiazide
chlorothiazide Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- gout attack
- muscle pain or cramps
- numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
- pain or trouble when passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- blurred vision
- dry mouth
- stomach upset
chlorothiazide May Interact with Other Medications
- barbiturates, like phenobarbital
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for high blood pressure
- medicines for high cholesterol, like cholestyramine or colestipol
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- prescription pain medicines
- skeletal muscle relaxants like tubocurarine
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
How to Use chlorothiazide
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Remember that you will need to pass urine frequently after taking this medicine. Do not take your doses at a time of day that will cause you problems. Do not stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- immune system problems, like lupus
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- small amount of urine or difficulty passing urine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorothiazide, sulfa drugs, or other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor or health care professional what your blood pressure should be and when you should contact him or her.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your doctor.
Check with your doctor or health care professional if you get an attack of severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, or if you sweat a lot. The loss of too much body fluid can make it dangerous for you to take this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine may affect your blood sugar level. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before changing the dose of your diabetic medicine.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Keep container closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
chlorothiazide, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 500mg
chlorothiazide, West-Ward Pharmaceutical, 500mg
chlorothiazide, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 250mg
chlorothiazide, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 250mg
chlorothiazide, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 500mg
How Much Does chlorothiazide Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for chlorothiazide
Last Updated: March 24, 2009