Highlights for certolizumab
certolizumab Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain or palpitations
- fever or chills, sore throat
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- red, scaly patches or raised bumps on the skin
- swelling of the ankles, feet, hands
- swollen lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, or groin areas
- unexplained weight loss
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- irritation at site where injected
certolizumab May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- live virus vaccines
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
How to Use certolizumab
This medicine is for injection under the skin. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
If you get this medicine at home, you will be taught how to prepare and give this medicine. Use exactly as directed. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
It is important that you put your used needles and syringes in a special sharps container. Do not put them in a trash can. If you do not have a sharps container, call your pharmacist or healthcare provider to get one.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- hepatitis B or history of hepatitis B infection
- immune system problems
- infection or history of infections
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- multiple sclerosis
- recently received or scheduled to receive a vaccine
- scheduled to have surgery
- tuberculosis, a positive skin test for tuberculosis or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tuberculosis
- an unusual or allergic reaction to certolizumab, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment. If you give yourself the medicine and you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
You will be tested for tuberculosis (TB) before you start this medicine. If your doctor prescribes any medicine for TB, you should start taking the TB medicine before starting this medicine. Make sure to finish the full course of TB medicine.
Call your doctor or health care professional for advice if you get a fever, chills, sore throat, or other symptoms of an infection. Do not treat yourself. This medicine may decrease your body's ability to fight infection. Try to avoid being around people who are sick.
Talk to your doctor about your risk of cancer. You may be more at risk for certain types of cancers if you take this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
If you are using this medicine at home, you will be instructed on how to store this medicine. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label.
How Much Does certolizumab Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for certolizumab
Last Updated: October 2, 2013