Highlights for ceftibuten
ceftibuten Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- burning, numbness, or tingling
- confusion, agitation
- dark urine
- pain, difficulty passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain, upset, gas
- vaginal itch, irritation
ceftibuten May Interact with Other Medications
- medicines for stomach acid or ulcers, like ranitidine
How to Use ceftibuten
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 months of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease
- stomach or intestine problems, especially colitis
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ceftibuten, other cephalosporins, penicillins, other antibiotics, medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
If you have diabetes, you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Check with your doctor or health care professional.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 2 and 25 degrees C (36 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: January 24, 2009