Highlights for cefpodoxime
cefpodoxime Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- confused, nervous, shaky
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusually weak or tired
- vaginal irritation, discharge
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dizzy, drowsy
- dry mouth
- joint or muscle pain
- stomach upset, gas
- trouble sleeping
cefpodoxime May Interact with Other Medications
- medicines for stomach acid or ulcer like cimetidine, famotidine, lansoprazole, nizatidine, omeprazole, ranitidine
- sodium bicarbonate
How to Use cefpodoxime
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding problems
- bowel disease, like colitis
- kidney disease
- other chronic illness
- an unusual or allergic reaction to cefpodoxime, other cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillin, penicillamine, other foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if you get new symptoms.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Keep container closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: January 24, 2009