Highlights for cefixime
cefixime Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bloody or watery diarrhea
- difficulty breathing or wheezing
- pain or trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- genital or anal irritation
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain, upset, or gas
cefixime May Interact with Other Medications
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
How to Use cefixime
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 months for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding problems
- kidney disease
- stomach or intestine problems (especially colitis)
- an unusual or allergic reaction to cefixime, other cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotics, other foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if you get new symptoms. Your doctor will monitor your condition and blood work as needed.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
This medicine can interfere with some urine glucose and some urine ketone tests. If you use such tests, talk with your health care professional.
If you are being treated for a sexually transmitted disease, avoid sexual contact until you have finished your treatment. Having sex can infect your sexual partner.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does cefixime Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for cefixime
Last Updated: April 6, 2009