Highlights for cefazolin
cefazolin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fever or chills
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- severe or watery diarrhea
- sore throat
- stomach pain or cramps
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- genital or anal irritation
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- pain or redness where injected
cefazolin May Interact with Other Medications
- birth control pills
- blood thinners
- other antibiotics
How to Use cefazolin
This medicine is infused into a vein. Do not use your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your doctor or health care professional even if you feel better. Do not stop using except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. This medicine had been used in children as young as 1 month old.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding problems
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- stomach or intestine problems (especially colitis)
- an unusual or allergic reaction to cefazolin, other cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillin, penicillamine, other foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better in a few days.
If you have diabetes you might get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
You will be instructed on how to store this medicine. Keep out of the reach of children.
How Much Does cefazolin Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for cefazolin
Last Updated: July 24, 2014