Highlights for azithromycin 500 mg oral tablet
azithromycin 500 mg oral tablet Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- confusion, nightmares or hallucinations
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- hearing loss
- irregular heartbeat or chest pain
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- white patches or sores in the mouth
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dizziness, drowsiness
- stomach upset or vomiting
- tooth discoloration
- vaginal irritation
azithromycin 500 mg oral tablet May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
How to Use azithromycin 500 mg oral tablet
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. The tablets can be taken with food or on an empty stomach. If the medicine upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early. Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- irregular heartbeat or heart disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to azithromycin, erythromycin, other macrolide antibiotics, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: January 24, 2014