Highlights for azithromycin
azithromycin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- anxious, hyperactive, nervous
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- hearing loss
- irregular heartbeat or chest pain
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- white patches or sores in the mouth
- yellowing of eyes, skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dizziness, drowsiness
- loss of appetite, bad taste
- pain, swelling at the site of injection
- stomach upset, vomiting
- vaginal irritation
azithromycin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
How to Use azithromycin
This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic or may be given during home health care. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- irregular heartbeat or heart disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to azithromycin, erythromycin, other macrolide antibiotics, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply.
Your condition will be monitored closely. Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Keep out of the reach of children.
This drug is usually given in a hospital or clinic and will usually not be stored at home. You will be instructed on how to store this medicine, if needed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label.
How Much Does azithromycin Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for azithromycin
Last Updated: July 24, 2014