Highlights for auranofin
auranofin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- black, tarry stools
- breathing problems
- change in vision
- dark urine
- eye infection
- metallic taste
- mouth sores
- numbness, tingling
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- hair loss
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach cramps, gas, pain
auranofin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- immunosuppressant medicines like azathioprine, methotrexate
- other gold compounds
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
How to Use auranofin
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label.Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- anemia or other blood disorders
- intestinal problems
- kidney disease
- lung disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to auranofin, gold compounds, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need lab work done every month while you take this medicine.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Last Updated: March 12, 2009