Highlights for artemether-lumefantrine
artemether-lumefantrine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- irregular heartbeat
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- fever or chills
- loss of appetite
- muscle aches
- nausea, vomiting
- weak or tired
artemether-lumefantrine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like erythromycin, levofloxacin
- certain medicines for blood pressure or heart disease
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heartbeat like dofetilide, dronedarone
- grapefruit juice
- lumacaftor; ivacaftor
- other medicines for malaria like chloroquine and halofantrine
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use artemether-lumefantrine
Take this medicine by mouth with food or a milky drink. Do not drink grapefruit juice with this medicine. Follow the directions on the prescription label. The tablets may be crushed and mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of water in a clean container just before the dose. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early. If you vomit within 1 hour after taking your dose, take your dose again. If you vomit the second dose, tell your healthcare provider.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to artemether; lumefantrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Tell your doctor if you get flu-like symptoms (chills, fever, muscle pains, or headaches) again after you have finished all of your medicine.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
Tell you doctor or healthcare professional if you vomited any of your doses or if you are not able to eat.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: February 22, 2016