Highlights for armodafinil
armodafinil Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- increased blood pressure, particularly if you have high blood pressure
- mental problems
- sore throat, fever, or chills
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, diarrhea, or stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
armodafinil May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- amphetamine or dextroamphetamine
- dexmethylphenidate or methylphenidate
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antifungal medicines like itraconazole or ketoconazole
- barbiturates, like phenobarbital
- birth control pills or other hormone-containing birth control devices or implants
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
How to Use armodafinil
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 17 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to armodafinil, modafinil, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. The full effect of this medicine may not be seen right away.
This medicine may affect your concentration, function, or may hide signs that you are tired. You may get dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you. Alcohol can make you more dizzy and may interfere with your response to this medicine or your alertness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
It is unknown if the effects of this medicine will be increased by the use of caffeine. Caffeine is found in many foods, beverages, and medications. Ask your doctor if you should limit or change your intake of caffeine-containing products while on this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
armodafinil, Aurobindo Pharma Limited, 200mg
armodafinil, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 150mg
armodafinil, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 250mg
armodafinil, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 200mg
armodafinil, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 200mg
armodafinil, Actavis US, 200mg
armodafinil, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 150mg
armodafinil, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 50mg
armodafinil, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 50mg
armodafinil, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 250mg
armodafinil, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 150mg
Last Updated: September 8, 2015