Highlights for amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid
amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- dark urine
- fever or chills, sore throat
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- white patches or sores in the mouth or throat
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach upset
- vaginal or anal irritation
amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid May Interact with Other Medications
- birth control pills
How to Use amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid
Take this medicine by mouth. Chew it completely before swallowing. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine at the start of a meal or snack. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bowel disease, like colitis
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to amoxicillin, penicillin, cephalosporin, other antibiotics, clavulanic acid, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
If you have diabetes, you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Check with your doctor or health care professional.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 25 degrees C (77 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 400mg, 57mg
amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 400mg, 57mg
Last Updated: March 12, 2009