Highlights for amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide
amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- black or tarry stools
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- eye pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- muscle pain, cramps
- numbness, tingling in hands or feet
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding
- unusually weak or tired
- worsened gout pain
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry mouth, increased thirst
- enlarged, tender breasts
- irregular menstrual periods
- stomach pain
amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- potassium sparing diuretics
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- ACE inhibitors for heart or kidney disease like captopril, lisinopril
- antiinflammatory drugs, NSAIDs like ibuprofen
- barbiturate medicines for sleep or seizure control
- cholestyramine, colestipol
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart failure
- muscle relaxers
- neuromuscular blockers used during surgery
- other diuretics
- potassium supplements
- some medicines for pain like codeine
- steroid hormones like cortisone, hydrocortisone, prednisone
How to Use amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- immune system problems, like lupus
- kidney disease
- small amount of urine
- unusual or allergic reaction to amiloride, hydrochlorothiazide, other diuretics, sulfa drugs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor what your blood pressure should be, and when you should contact them. If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar as directed.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your doctor. You must not get dehydrated. Ask your doctor or health care professional how much fluid you need to drink a day. Check with him or her if you get an attack of severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, or if you sweat a lot. The loss of too much body fluid can make it dangerous for you to take this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Moduretic, 5mg, 50mg
amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 5mg, 50mg
amiloride-hydrochlorothiazide, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 5mg, 50mg
Last Updated: September 7, 2011