Highlights for alvimopan
alvimopan Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain or chest tightness
- breathing difficulties
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- back pain
alvimopan May Interact with Other Medications
- narcotic medicines for pain
How to Use alvimopan
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. It will only be given to you by a health care professional while you are in the hospital.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- taking pain medications (e.g., codeine, morphine)
- undergoing surgery for stomach or intestinal blockage
- an unusual or allergic reaction to alvimopan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
It is important not to miss your dose. Talk to your doctor or health care professional if you miss a dose.
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
This does not apply.
Last Updated: January 22, 2013