Highlights for almotriptan
almotriptan Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest or throat pain, tightness
- fast, slow, or irregular heart beat
- high or low blood pressure
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- severe stomach pain and cramping, bloody diarrhea
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- feeling warm, flushing, or redness of the face
- muscle pain or cramps
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or stomach upset
- weak or tired
almotriptan May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medicines:
- amphetamine or cocaine
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication - do not take within 24 hours of taking almotriptan
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate - do not take almotriptan within 2 weeks of stopping MAOI therapy
- other migraine medicines like eletriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan - do not take within 24 hours of taking almotriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- medicines for mental depression, anxiety or mood problems
- medicines for weight loss such as dexfenfluramine, dextroamphetamine, fenfluramine, or sibutramine
- St. John's wort
How to Use almotriptan
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine is taken at the first symptoms of a migraine. It is not for everyday use. If your migraine headache returns after one dose, you can take another dose as directed. You must leave at least 2 hours between doses, and do not take more than 25 mg total in any 24 hour period. If there is no improvement at all after the first dose, do not take a second dose without talking to your doctor or health care professional. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bowel disease or colitis
- family history of heart disease
- fast or irregular heart beat
- heart or blood vessel disease, angina (chest pain), or previous heart attack
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- history of stroke, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs or mini-strokes), or intracranial bleeding
- kidney or liver disease
- poor circulation
- postmenopausal or surgical removal of uterus and ovaries
- Raynaud's disease
- seizure disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to almotriptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Only take this medicine for a migraine headache. Take it if you get warning symptoms or at the start of a migraine attack. It is not for regular use to prevent migraine attacks.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce dizzy or fainting spells, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol can increase drowsiness, dizziness and flushing. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Smoking cigarettes may increase the risk of heart-related side effects from using this medicine.
If you take migraine medicines for 10 or more days a month, your migraines may get worse. Keep a diary of headache days and medicine use. Contact your healthcare professional if your migraine attacks occur more frequently.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
almotriptan, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 6.25mg
almotriptan, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 12.5mg
almotriptan, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, LLC, 12.5mg
How Much Does almotriptan Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for almotriptan
Last Updated: August 13, 2014