Highlights for albuterol
albuterol Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- irregular heartbeat
- muscle cramps or weakness
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- difficulty sleeping
- fast heartbeat
- nervousness, trembling
- stuffy or runny nose
- upset stomach
albuterol May Interact with Other Medications
- anti-infectives like chloroquine and pentamidine
- medicines for colds
- medicines for depression or for emotional or psychotic conditions
- medicines for weight loss including some herbal products
- some antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, levofloxacin, and linezolid
- some heart medicines
- steroid hormones like dexamethasone, cortisone, hydrocortisone
- thyroid hormones
How to Use albuterol
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. If this medicine upsets your stomach, take it with food or milk. Do not crush or chew extended-release tablets. Do not take more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- heart disease or irregular heartbeat
- high blood pressure
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to albuterol, levalbuterol, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve. Do not take extra doses. If your asthma or bronchitis gets worse while you are using this medicine, call your doctor right away.
If your mouth gets dry try chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy. Drink water as directed.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store Volmax ER tablets in the refrigerator (36 to 46 degrees F). Other tablets may be stored at room temperature (59 to 86 degrees F), check the packaging or ask your pharmacist. Keep container closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does albuterol Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for albuterol
Last Updated: March 5, 2009