- Basic Info
It helps to prevent blood clots
What is this medicine?TICAGRELOR (TYE ka GREL or) helps to prevent blood clots. This medicine is used to prevent heart attack, stroke, or other vascular events in people who have had a recent heart attack or who have severe chest pain.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding disorder
- bleeding in the brain
- liver disease
- planned surgery
- stomach or intestinal ulcers
- stroke or transient ischemic attack
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ticagrelor, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to you pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin and telithromycin
- certain medicines for fungal infections like itraconazole, ketoconazole, and voriconazole
- certain medicines for HIV infection like atazanavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, and saquinavir
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin