What is this medicine?
ARSENIC TRIOXIDE (AR se nik trye OX ide) is a chemotherapy drug. It slows the growth of cancer cells. This medicine is used to treat acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL).
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- low levels of potassium, calcium, or magnesium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to arsenic, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?
This drug is given as an infusion into a vein. It is administered in a hospital or clinic by a specially trained health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- herbal or dietary supplements with hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata
- medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, dofetilide, encainide, flecainide, propafenone, quinidine
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- sodium phosphate monobasic monohydrate; sodium phosphate dibasic anhydrous
- some medicines for infection like chloroquine, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, halofantrine, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, pentamidine, troleandomycin
- some medicines for mental problems like haloperidol, pimozide, ziprasidone
- some medicines to treat cancer like dasatinib, lapatinib, sunitinib, vorinostat
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for numbness, pain prevention, or sleep during surgery
- some medicines for infection like, clarithromycin, erythromycin, mefloquine, norfloxacin, ofloxacin
- some medicines to treat cancer like daunorubicin, doxorubicin