It is used to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes
What is this medicine?LIRAGLUTIDE (LIR a GLOO tide) is used to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes. This medicine may be used with other oral diabetes medicines.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- endocrine tumors (MEN 2) or if someone in your family had these tumors
- high cholesterol
- history of alcohol abuse problem
- history of pancreatitis
- kidney disease or if you are on dialysis
- liver disease
- previous swelling of the tongue, face, or lips with difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, or tightening of the throat
- stomach problems
- thyroid cancer or if someone in your family had thyroid cancer
- an unusual or allergic reaction to liraglutide, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection under the skin of your upper leg, stomach area, or upper arm. You will be taught how to prepare and give this medicine. Use exactly as directed. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
It is important that you put your used needles and syringes in a special sharps container. Do not put them in a trash can. If you do not have a sharps container, call your pharmacist or healthcare provider to get one.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.