- Basic Info
It is used to clean out the bowel before a colonoscopy
What is this medicine?MAGNESIUM SULFATE; POTASSIUM SULFATE; SODIUM SULFATE (mag NEE zee um SUL fate; poe TASS i um SUL fate; SODIUM SUL fate) is a laxative. It is used to clean out the bowel before a colonoscopy.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- high or low levels of calcium, magnesium, potassium, or sodium in the blood
- irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- stomach or intestines problems
- trouble swallowing
- an unusual or allergic reaction to magnesium sulfate; potassium sulfate; sodium sulfate, other medicines, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take all of your medicine as directed. Do not skip a dose or stop your medicine early. Avoid taking other medicines within 1 hour of this medicine.
You will need to follow a special diet before your procedure. Talk to your doctor.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?
- arsenic trioxide
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines used for nausea like chlorpromazine, droperidol
- certain medicines used to treat infections like chloroquine, clarithromycin, erythromycin, pentamidine
- medicines for mental depression or psychiatric disturbances
- medicines for seizures
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation like ibuprofen or naproxen
- other laxatives
- theophylline or aminophylline
- tramadolAvoid taking other medicines within 1 hour of taking this medicine.