- Basic Info
It is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension
What is this medicine?SILDENAFIL (sil DEN a fil) is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension. This is a serious heart and lung condition. This medicine helps to improve symptoms and quality of life.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- anatomical deformation of the penis, Peyronie's disease, or history of priapism (painful and prolonged erection)
- bleeding disorders
- eye disease, vision problems
- heart disease
- high or low blood pressure
- history of blood diseases, like sickle cell anemia or leukemia
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- pulmonary veno- occlusive disease (PVOD)
- stomach ulcer
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sildenafil, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your doses at regular intervals about 4 to 6 hours apart. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- cobicistat; elvitegravir; emtricitabine; tenofovir
- methscopolamine nitrate
- nitrates like amyl nitrite, isosorbide dinitrate, isosorbide mononitrate, nitroglycerin
- other sildenafil products (Viagra)
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- certain medicines for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole