- Basic Info
It is used to clean out the bowel before a colonoscopy
What is this medicine?Sodium picosulfate; magnesium oxide; anhydrous citric acid is a laxative. It is used to clean out the bowel before a colonoscopy.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty swallowing
- heart disease
- high or low levels of calcium, magnesium, potassium, or sodium in the blood
- history of irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- stomach or intestines problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium picosulfate; magnesium oxide; anhydrous citric acid, other medicines, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take all of your medicine as directed. Do not skip a dose or stop your medicine early. Avoid taking other medicines within 1 hour of this medicine.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation like ibuprofen or naproxen
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- theophylline or aminophylline
What should I watch for while using this medicine?You will need to follow a special diet before your procedure. Talk to your doctor.
Talk to your doctor if you are not able to complete the regimen as prescribed.
Do not use with any other laxatives. Drink clear fluids as directed to prevent dehydration. See your doctor right away if you do not have a bowel movement after using this medicine.