It may help prevent relapses of multiple sclerosis
What is this medicine?FINGOLIMOD (fin GOL i mod) may help prevent relapses of multiple sclerosis. This medicine is not a cure.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- history of irregular heartbeat
- history of stroke
- immune system problems
- infection (especially a virus infection such as chickenpox, cold sores, or herpes)
- liver disease
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fingolimod, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?It is important not to miss any doses. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.