It is used to treat moderate to severe pain
What is this medicine?HYDROMORPHONE (hye droe MOR fone) is a pain reliever. It is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It is used by people who have been taking an opioid or narcotic pain medicine.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- drug abuse or addiction
- head injury
- heart disease
- if you frequently drink alcohol containing drinks
- kidney disease or problems urinating
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- stomach problems
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- an unusual or allergic reaction to hydromorphone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast- feeding
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Do not break, crush, or chew the tablets. Do not take a tablet that is not whole. A broken or crushed tablet can be very dangerous. You may get too much medicine. Also do not take this medicine with alcohol or any drugs containing alcohol. If the medicine upsets your stomach, take it with food or milk. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take more than you are told to take.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.