- Basic Info
It is used to treat congestive heart failure and heart rhythm problems.
What is this medicine?DIGOXIN (di JOX in) is used to treat congestive heart failure and heart rhythm problems.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before, or 2 hours after meals. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
- activated charcoal
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS like ritonavir and saquinavir
- certain antibiotics like azithromycin, clarithromycin, erythromycin, gentamicin, neomycin, trimethoprim, and tetracycline
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for cancer
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, cholestyramine, and colestipol
- certain medicines for diabetes, like acarbose, exenatide, miglitol, and metformin
- certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- certain medicines for stomach problems like omeprazole, esomeprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole, metoclopramide, and sucralfate
- kaolin; pectin
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like celecoxib, ibuprofen, or naproxen
- St. John's Wort
- thyroid hormones