On December 30, we reported that the San Diego-based Behavioral Diabetes Institute (BDI) was closing down for the foreseeable future. Today we're happy to amend that with new information: BDI president Dr. Bill Polonsky has let us know that while their San Diego group programs for the first half of 2014 have been cancelled, the BDI lives on!
"Perhaps our announcement mistakenly overstated the situation, so let me clear up any misunderstanding. Most importantly, the BDI remains open for business, so please, please don't bid us a 'fond adieu'!" Polonsky writes. "Yes, we have decided to cancel our local group programs for the first half of this year, but we are still:
- Developing and releasing new online programs (our newest program, for partners and spouses of adults with type 1 diabetes, just launched)
- Conducting important research in behavioral diabetes (for example, as the 'Mine recently announced, we are now working with our colleagues at TCOYD to build a new Online Research Registry)
- Seeing scores of individual patients every day who are struggling with diabetes
- Continuing to distribute our well-regarded print materials, like the Diabetes Etiquette card, to patients and professionals around the world
- Developing new medical education courses for health care professionals who are anxious to gain expertise regarding the psychological side of diabetes
- Responding every day to the questions, concerns and needs of people with diabetes around the world via phone and email"
That's fantastic news, of course. As mentioned, BDI has just launched the second in its series of online programs, this one called Just For Partners, a no-cost automated program for spouses and partners of adults with type 1 diabetes.
As you may remember, their first program of this sort is called Just for Parents, focusing on those raising T1D teens; that's been up and running for about a year now, and has been viewed by several thousand people.
"As the financial climate clears, we will hope to resume our fabulous San Diego in-person group programs later in 2014. So don't count us out yet. The BDI is alive and kicking!" Bill says.
NEWSFLASH: FDA Clears Dexcom Share Direct
Dexcom gets regulatory approval of its 'on-the-go' mobile apps for CGM data-sharing.
State of the Union: It's Time to Cure Diabetes
President launching new precision medicine initiative to better treat, cure diseases like diabetes.
'Robotic Pancreas' Appears On American Idol
Carlos Santana's nephew Adam Lasher shows off Dexcom G4 during live performance.