Diabetes. That all-consuming pain in the @$$... But I like to remind myself that there are worse things. No, really, there are. Make a list. Here's mine:
1. Aging. The front of my hair is getting thin. And my face looks so drawn in photos these days. I miss that fresh-faced girl.
2. The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome -- crippling for anyone who sits at a keyboard as much as I do.
3. Gluten-intolerance. No wheat = high-maintenance lifestyle. Ugh.
4. Yeast where it doesn't belong. Enough said.
5. Future Anxiety -- which I try to keep in check -- but what will become of us someday? Will we have kidney failure and become incontinent? (Sorry, but the mind is unruly at times)
6. Parenting Anxiety -- what will become of our little ones? Will they contract some (possibly worse) chronic disorder? Or worse yet, run into some loon who turns out to be a predator?
7. "Too Profitable to Cure." If this is The Anadulterated Truth, may all the responsible parties be struck by lightening.
There now. Feel better? Me neither. But it helps to share.
Editor's note: I was tempted to add "housework" to this list, but decided that might be just a little too whiney.
Hey there, Diabetes Friends! Welcome back to our weekly advice column, Ask D'Mine. I'm your friendly host, Wil Dubois -- a longtime type 1 diagnosed as an adult who happens to write about diabetes and work as a clinical diabetes specialist in New...
It's always good to keep in touch with the leadership at big diabetes companies, to understand their POV.That's why we were happy to be introduced to Camille Lee in April at the Novo-sponsored DOC forum in Phoenix, that brought a couple dozen diab...
It all began with a racecar driver in Minnesota. About a decade ago, a marketing businessman met a D-Dad in the Twin Cities area with a T1D son. That father was Bill Hansen and his son, Todd Hansen, was a professional stock car driver in the AR...
Of course we've been closely following the hot topic of high insulin prices, hoping to find some answers about how to best address this quagmire. We've reported here about The Human Cost of High Insulin Prices and heard the Insulin Makers' Respons...
Hey PWDs, ever feel like you're channeling The Walking Dead? Props once again to the creative Jon Carter, a veteran freelance cartoonist drawing for numerous newspapers, online publications and corporate clients for more than 20 years. He ...