Diabetes. That all-consuming pain in the @$$... But I like to remind myself that there are worse things. No, really, there are. Make a list. Here's mine:
1. Aging. The front of my hair is getting thin. And my face looks so drawn in photos these days. I miss that fresh-faced girl.
2. The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome -- crippling for anyone who sits at a keyboard as much as I do.
3. Gluten-intolerance. No wheat = high-maintenance lifestyle. Ugh.
4. Yeast where it doesn't belong. Enough said.
5. Future Anxiety -- which I try to keep in check -- but what will become of us someday? Will we have kidney failure and become incontinent? (Sorry, but the mind is unruly at times)
6. Parenting Anxiety -- what will become of our little ones? Will they contract some (possibly worse) chronic disorder? Or worse yet, run into some loon who turns out to be a predator?
7. "Too Profitable to Cure." If this is The Anadulterated Truth, may all the responsible parties be struck by lightening.
There now. Feel better? Me neither. But it helps to share.
Editor's note: I was tempted to add "housework" to this list, but decided that might be just a little too whiney.
Lipohypertrophy is one of those big words for bad side effects of diabetes that no one ever warns you about. Basically, it's a condition common in those of us who repeatedly inject ourselves – an accumulation of fat and scar tissue under the ski...
Got questions about life with diabetes? So do we! That's why we offer our weekly diabetes advice column, Ask D'Mine, hosted by veteran type 1, diabetes author and community educator Wil Dubois.This week, Wil answers questions about the mix of exe...
Today is my birthday* -- always a good time to reflect on life and our place in it. I've been aware lately that as I approach my 12-years-with-diabetes mark, it slips my mind sometimes (sort of). SOMETIMES I FORGET... That I'm not 'normal' li...
Got questions about life with diabetes? So do we! That's why we offer our weekly diabetes advice column, Ask D'Mine, hosted by veteran type 1, diabetes author and community educator Wil Dubois.This week, Wil answers a big question about the "co...
Diabetes isn't very forgiving, especially when it comes to holiday eating. But here at the 'Mine, we do our best to support you! Welcome to another edition of our weekly advice column, Ask D'Mine, hosted by veteran type 1, diabetes author and comm...