Continuing our ongoing series by and for loved ones of people with diabetes, the so-called Diabetic Partner Follies, we're proud to play host today to Suzi, the wife of prolific DOC blogger and fellow journalist Mike Hoskins. Suzi and Mike have been married since 2005. Not only does Suzi's husband have type 1 diabetes, but so does her mother-in-law, M ike's mom! That's quite a bit of diabetes in the family! Suzi takes it all in stride...
A Guest Post by Suzi Hoskins
First, thanks to Allison and Amy for the chance to be a guest-poster here at D-Mine. It's an honor to be writing here from the perspective of a D-Wife, though it's nothing glamorous. It's just our life, what we know and do, and I hope that someone can get something out of what is shared here.
For those who don't know, my husband is Mike who writes over at The D-Corner Booth. We've been married for six years this September but have been together for about 10 ½ years total. From time to time, I have attempted to blog at Laughter and Tears. But really, I find my life rather boring and hard to write about. No children yet, except the furry kinds who rule the Hoskins Household. So here it is, in a nutshell:
I'm the one ...
- Who is not a blog writer, but has many random thoughts that may or may not present themselves in list form.
- Who loves seafood, but found out the hard way that I'm allergic to it.
- Who is the shortest in my family, but is tall enough so that my feet touch the ground.
- Who loves to garden and play in the mud, but hates to get dirty.
- Who wishes my pets had opposable thumbs, instead of a wagging tail that knocks stuff over, or spending time wandering the house chasing the invisible mouse.
- Who has to watch the Harry Potter marathon on TV, despite the fact that I own all the movies and can watch them whenever I want.
- Who loves sweets, but thinks glucose tabs taste gross. Oh, cupcakes and ice cream rule!
- Who fetches juice boxes, but can't ever seem to open them in that moment they're needed.
- Who calls paramedics if needed, but isn't afraid to stab the sucker in the leg with a glucagon shot if I can get close enough without taking an elbow to the face.
- Who will threaten to pull his pump site out when he gets on my nerves, but never have. And probably wouldn't. Because then I'd have to hear him complain.
- Who loves math, because it's constant and makes sense.
- Who likes to figure out D-Math, because not everything that says it's sugar-free is that different than regular food.
- Who doesn't purposely embarrass herself in public, but still dressed up as a BackStreet Boy for a diabetes camp fundraiser.
- Who knows that while I don't "get it" when it comes to being a Person With Diabetes, Mike doesn't "get it" when it comes to being the spouse of a diabetic. We both learn from each other every day.
So in sum:
I'm the one who married a man who I love and makes me laugh, and also happens to have type 1 diabetes. And it doesn't rule my life.
Well said, Suzi! And what's that we hear? You like diabetes math?! Are you for hire? Oh pleeeaaaassse.
Meanwhile: We're always looking to hear from other partners of PWDs, so if you'd like to share your story, get in touch!