So far, so good for these first few days of 2009. I've pulled out my detailed logging sheets and made a resolution to pinpoint exactly why my BGs are all over the map.  Just committing to that feels good.

I may have mentioned that my glucose control slipped into the unacceptable these last few weeks as I've been riding the wave of the holidays: bit by bit allowing myself more carbs here and there, and struggling to cover for it all with the right amount of insulin correction at the right moment. Ugh.

Then a few days before New Year's, I had no choice but to force myself to set my alarm and get up early for those dreaded quad-annual fasting blood tests: the lipid profile. I have SERIOUS ISSUES with leaving the house in the morning without being able to eat anything (physical or psychological? who knows?)  Luckily, my wonderful partner usually goes with me and turns it into a "Lab Breakfast Date" — as soon as they're done sucking my blood, we hop over to surprisingly high-quality hospital café and order steaming double lattes and omelettes with spinach and feta cheese. With this addition, I actually look forward to it (sort of).

But this time, with it still being school Winter Break, we had no one to watch our three monkeys in the wee hours of the morning.  I tried not to show how bummed out I was that I was going to have to face the fasting-blood-test music all on my own.

So do you know what my family did? They rallied for me!  Despite a bad head cold, my husband got up with me at 7am and drove me right to the front door of our local hospital, so's I wouldn't have to park a mile off in the gi-normous parking structure and pick my way through the construction going on all around the main entrance on my way to the lab.  Then he drove back home and picked up all three girls, who'd been lovely enough to cooperate with getting up early, getting dressed and ready on their own (!).  They all came to meet me at the hospital a short while later.

Sure, I had to brave the actual blood-sucking-test part alone, but I always insist on their very best lab tech and a gurney anyway.  And the whole thing went so much faster without the parking and hiking through the cold morning air (without breakfast).

Soon enough I was sitting in the café sipping my latte — when suddenly three bright little faces framed by Anne-of-Green-Gables braids peeked around the corner.  My heart leapt!  We shared a lot of hugs and a much heartier breakfast than we usually eat.  And I kept thinking how wonderful it was that this hated procedure had actually offered up the opportunity for us to go out to breakfast as a family — something I normally can't handle because I can never stand to wait until everybody's mobilized and then drive to some restaurant and wait some more before we eat.  So there we were, once again turning something bad into something good.

The epiphany of course was that I am NOT ALONE with this crappy disease after all.  My Loved Ones may not know exactly what it feels like to live with this thing, but as long as they continue to back me up — really back me up — on the things that bother me most, no matter how trivial they may seem, then I am blessed.

To top it all off, I called the hospital the next day and discovered that despite the crummy month behind me, my A1c was 6.5! Which I can hardly believe... I guess I've been catching those highs and hammering them down faster than I thought.

In short, it's just nice to know that things are often not as grim as they seem, especially when you have lots of love and lattes in the mix.

Disclaimer: Content created by the Diabetes Mine team. For more details click here.


This content is created for Diabetes Mine, a consumer health blog focused on the diabetes community. The content is not medically reviewed and doesn't adhere to Healthline's editorial guidelines. For more information about Healthline's partnership with Diabetes Mine, please click here.