Joanne Milo, who blogs at The Savvy Diabetic, reviews the Nightscout do-it-yourself CGM in the Cloud system, which allows users to view and share continuous glucose monitoring data on a variety of devices.
REVIEWER'S BREAKDOWN -
- Instant and continuous access to your Dexcom G4 CGM data without the need to dig around for your receiver or push buttons
- Remote monitoring by loved ones
- Option to display your data on your PC, tablets (even hanging on your wall, like a wall clock!), and smartphones
- Option to display data on a cool Pebble smartwatch with encouraging messages
- Options to customize your rig or holder as well as your Pebble watch face and band, as it becomes a fashion accessory
- Incredible and supportive online community of users and programmers, available 24/7 for advice, help and encouragement
- Ability to monitor two kids or adults with T1D simultaneously, monitoring both their BGs on the same Nightscout-enabled watch
- System is somewhat cumbersome to carry around (phone and CGM receiver) and that portion must be connected by a cable at all times in order to work
- It can cost several hundred dollars up front, if you choose options like a smartwatch, plus ongoing costs for data use and website service
- The system sometimes experiences downtime
- You have to charge both the Android uploader phone and the smartwatch (it does charge your G4 receiver through the phone)
- You are wearing a constant reminder of your BG (but you actually don’t have to look at it all the time, of course)
Tell us what you think!
RELATED COMMUNITY LINKS: