Welcome to 2015!
We thought this first work day would be a great time for our first diabetes giveaway of the new year.
I know, I know... we just got through the big holiday gift-giving season. The wrapping paper is probably all put away, and you're all settling back into regular life without all that ribbon-ripping craziness... and now we decide to do a giveaway?!
Here's what we're giving away:
Five bright green L.L. Bean backpacks backpacks, full of family-friendly diabetes books featuring Disney characters. Remember, this is the book series first unveiled back in July 2011 thanks to the partnership between Lilly Diabetes and Disney Publishing Worldwide. During the past few years, more titles in this series have been released. But to date, the books are available almost exclusively through doctors' offices, meaning you pretty much have to be lucky enough to have a doctor who happens to be in the know, and you can't order the books through any online store.
Many diabetes advocates have been communicating to Lilly for several years now that we want to see expanded access to these great Disney D-books.
Lilly says they've been working on that, and this giveaway -- which includes several other selected D-advocates and groups -- is one small sign they've been listening.
We at the 'Mine are excited to be offered the chance to give these backpacks away, although we still think Lilly is remiss in not allowing the public at large to easily order these books in print-form. Of course, we are happy to see that, based on DOC feedback, Lilly has made some of these books available online to read online for free. Simply head over to this site, clock on the "read now" title of each book to get a look... and with the Coco books, there's even a "read along" option.
Now, this giveaway is another chance for us to help...
In each backpack, you'll find 10 books (all titles listed and described at the Lilly/Disney T1D Bookshelf page):
Three Coco the Monkey Books
- Coco's First Sleepover
- Coco and Goofy's Goofy Day
- Coco Goes Back to School
Six Tween/Teen Books
- Superstar Dreams
- Hannah Montana: Uptight (Oliver's All Right)
- ESPN: Covering the Bases
- ESPN: Power Forward
- ESPN: Up for the Challenge
- ESPN: Running Interference
- Dishing It Up Disney Style (a character-themed T1 recipe collection)
Plus Two Extras
- Disney Family Holiday magazine (a brand new special edition)
- A Disney/Lilly postcard (promoting their T1 Everyday Magic site and the information on diabetes books, recipes, blogs and other resources)
These are fun, cleverly-crafted books that would make great additions to any D-family's bookshelf. The backpacks are nice and sturdy with multiple pockets -- typical quality stuff made by L.L. Bean.
I should note that I'm actually involved in distributing a total of 24 of these backpacks to various groups -- in my own local community in Indianapolis, where Lilly is based, and in Metro Detroit where I am originally from. Right after Christmas, three massive boxes of bags arrived on my doorstep for me to dole out as follows:
- 5 to my local D-camp organization, the Diabetes Youth Foundation of Indiana (of which I'm a board member)
- 5 to the JDRF Indiana chapter, to be loaned out or given away in whatever way they choose
- 5 to the JDRF Southeast Michigan chapter to distribute however they choose (I would like to these local chapters give their out through regional school districts)
- 4 to the American Diabetes Association's Indiana chapter, to be loaned out or given away at their discretion
- And last not least, 5 backpacks for our readers here at the 'Mine!
Yes, YOU have a chance to win one of these 5 stuffed backpacks!
And we should let you know that if you enter our giveaway but aren't one of the chosen winners, don't fret -- several of our fellow D-bloggers are doing similar giveaways -- those who've also been a part of the Lilly Diabetes Summits in past years. You can probably find many of them by searching online, or try clicking here, here, here, or here (Note: Some of these giveaways have fast-approaching deadlines, so be sure to check them out ASAP if interested.)
And hopefully, your own doctor's office will be a good resource for getting your hands on these books, too.
Now without further ado, here's your chance to WIN from us...
A DMBooks Giveaway
Interested in winning one of these LL Bean backpacks full of Lilly-Disney diabetes books? Here's your chance to win one of five backpacks!
1. Post your comment below and include the codeword "DMBooks" somewhere in the the text to let us know that you'd like to be entered in the giveaway.
2. You have until Friday, Jan. 9, 2015, at 5 p.m. PST to enter. A valid email address is required to win.
3. The winner will be chosen using Random.org.
4. The winner will be announced on Facebook and Twitter on Monday, Jan. 12, 2015, so make sure you're following us! We'll update this post with the winner's name once chosen. (This is limited to the U.S., btw)
Good luck to all!