Like Allison, I've been swamped with emailed press releases about diabetes campaigns everywhere. This week, my inbox contained pitches for everything from silver-laced footwear to a free annual membership in the American Sleep Association. Like Scott, I keep my skepticism forcefield charged to filter most of this stuff out.
NEWSFLASH: FDA Clears Dexcom Share Direct
Dexcom gets regulatory approval of its 'on-the-go' mobile apps for CGM data-sharing.
State of the Union: It's Time to Cure Diabetes
President launching new precision medicine initiative to better treat, cure diseases like diabetes.
'Robotic Pancreas' Appears On American Idol
Carlos Santana's nephew Adam Lasher shows off Dexcom G4 during live performance.
1) Did you know that the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) annual meeting is taking place in Amsterdam next week? In terms of clout, this is the European equivalent of the big annual ADA conference in the US. A little bird told me that some attention-meriting announcements will be coming out of this one, including:
- a new IDF campaign on post-meal glucose management (i.e. lower your postprandials!)
(so don't delete those emails if they happen to come your way)
2) If you live in or near New York City, save the date: November 14, 2007, is the 16th annual World Diabetes Day -- "the primary global awareness campaign of the diabetes world."
It is organized by the IDF and the World Health Organization (WHO) every year on Nov. 14 because that's the birthday of Frederick Banting, co-discoverer of insulin with Charles Best, in 1921. WDD is now celebrated worldwide by over 200 IDF member associations in more than 160 countries.
I've actually been corresponding with the IDF communications folks for a few weeks now about arranging some fun promotional WDD stuff here at DiabetesMine.com, like a celebrity interview or two, or a giveaway of some of their "blue circle" Unite for Diabetes goodies.
Meanwhile, I've done my part and added a promotional banner in the left sidebar, under the 'Subscribe' links. You can get a promo banner like that for your blog HERE.
Highlights of the WDD New York City lineup this year, from the email pitch:
- Human Blue Circle 11am: Public gathering on the lawn of the UN to form a blue circle with blue umbrellas, representing the global symbol for diabetes. An estimated 500 people will be allowed to join, with an emphasis on kids with diabetes
- Elliott Yamin (our American D-Idol) will sing a tribute to all people with diabetes (!)
- 246 Step March 11:30 am: Public march up First Avenue, each step representing one million people with diabetes. Led by a group of children and families. T-Shirts with the WDD logo will be provided to the first 1,000 participants
- Diabetes Education Rally Noon-3pm: Public three-hour event located at Guastavino's under the 59th St Bridge (what, just three hours? ;)
- Celebrities and diabetes heroes will entertain, including MC John Ratzenberger (of Made in America, Cheers, Pixar/Disney), who will "lead the crowd in an inspirational, educational event" (what do I know? it's from the email pitch)
- Lighting of the Empire State Building in Blue in honor of the Blue Circle for Diabetes
A final note from the email pitch: "Participants must arrive early to pass through UN Security."
See why it's important not to delete everything that looks like PR spam?
More on the WDD here soon, I hope.